It was a successful afternoon for the Miami Springs baseball team on Thursday as the Golden Hawks routed Naples 10-0 in a game that ended in the last of the sixth on the 10-run mercy rule.
The Hawks (4-3) were led by sophomore Jason Torres, who had a complete game three-hitter — striking out 10, and he also went 2 for 3 with a triple and home run and 4 RBI.
But the day was even a more special because of what took place before the game. Having already had Springs’ home field named after him when it went up more than two decades ago, long time legendary Springs baseball coach Shelly Dunkel was on hand to be honored.
More than $10,000 was raised during the offseason to put up a new scoreboard with Dunkel’s name. Former assistant coaches and players from as far back as the 1980s were there to watch Dunkel be honored. He led the program from 1976-94.
“It’s been so long since I’ve seen them I was worried when I showed up today that I wouldn’t recognize all my old players,” Dunkel said. “I can’t even begin to tell everybody how special this day is for me. To see all them and how they have become so successful in life outside of baseball just touches me at the core that I could’ve had such an impact on their lives.”
GIRLS’ WATER POLO
▪ Miami High 17, Braddock 1: Ashley Ampie 7 goals, Karina Garcia and Francoise 3 goals each, GK Melanie David 9 saves.
BOYS’ WATER POLO
▪ Miami High 16, Braddock 4: Martin Stern 4 goals, Eddie Villatoro, Chris Noguera and Manolo Torres 3 goals each.
FLASH SALE! Unlimited digital access for $3.99 per month
Don't miss this great deal. Offer ends on March 31st!SAVE NOW
▪ Braddock d. Pinecrest 3-0 (25-15, 25-18, 25-14): John-Marcos Gonzalez 14 kills, 2 aces; Ryan Oreth-Leal 12 assists; Odilo Nunez 11 digs.
▪ Colonial Christian 16, Miami Country Day 6: Morgan Wells, 4-4, 2 2B, 4R, 2 SB; Destiny Sanchez 4 RBI; Peyton Housh RBI, 3R, SB; Emily Friman 3R, 2 SB; WP: Wells (6-0), CG, 4 Ks. CC: 7-0.
▪ Palmetto 10, Marathon 0: Isa Martinez 3-4, 2B, R, 4 RBI; Mel Vizcaino 2-3, 2 RBI; Olivia Rapp 2-3, 2B, 3R; RBI. WP: Mel Vizcaino (5-0).
▪ Palmetto 16, South Dade 0: Oliva Rapp 3-3, 2B, 2R, 4 RBI; Katie Burge 1-2, R, 3 RBI; Sam Suarez 2-2, 2B, R, 2 RBI; WP: Sophia Wiley PAL: 8-0.
▪ American 25, Miami Beach 15
▪ Krop 47, Flanagan 0: Krop was led by Kirra Magana who threw for 4 TDs in the first half. Mai-Lisa Attis 3 TDs, Lindsey Weingard 1 TD pass, 1 TD reception and an interception return for a TD. Kamryn Walker 4th INT of the season and 3rd pick six. Brianna Knowles 4 receptions for 36 yards. KR: 2-0.